photo Home4_zps060b74cf.jpg  photo About4_zps9c6e1293.jpg  photo FAQ4_zpsc11ed765.jpg  photo Contact4_zps701c52e7.jpg  photo Buttons4_zpsa94a853c.jpg

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Switching Gears: The New Semester



Well it is that time of year again; the fall semester starts tomorrow. This fall semester will be my last as an undergraduate student (eek). Tomorrow I will need to flip the switch and get into school mode. This semester I came up with some goals to help me grow as a student and a person. I have been getting better at self discipline and completing more to-do lists so I believe these goals are attainable.

1// Talk in Class. I am very shy and talking in class has been a huge problem for me. Not talking in class rarely damages my grade like teachers want me to think. However, I go into class with much anxiety about talking. I get anxious I'll be called on or I won't be able to come up with something to say. This also ties in with my lack of confidence, especially in my intelligence. I made some progress during the winter and spring semester but I want to be even better. I want to be at the point where I don't even think about talking in class as a problem.

2// Complete or At Least Start Assignments 1 Week Early. At the end of last semester I started the practice of getting assignments done early. Boy, did it feel wonderful! I felt so good the day before an assignment was due knowing I wouldn't have to worry about it. I want to feel that way all semester.

3// Interact with Instructors and Professors. I will be applying to graduate school in a few months and that means recommendation letters. Getting close to my instructors and professors will be important for obtaining good recommendation letters.

4// Get Over Public Speaking. This is similar to speaking in class but presenting also has it's own issues. I frequently forget what I want to say, ignore my note cards, stumble on my words, and talk too fast during presentations.  I want a similar resolution to talking in class; I want to get up for a presentation with no anxiety and get my point across clearly and efficiently.

5// Work as a Research Assistant. One of the perks of going to a research university is the opportunity to work in a lab on campus. There are a few labs I'm interested in, hopefully I'll get a spot as a research assistant in one of them. Being a research assistant will also help with my grad school application.

What are your goals for school or work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...